Benefits of WMHCA membership:
- WMHCA lobbies and petitions for important changes that enhance the status of LMHCs and LMHCAs in the marketplace.*
- Free legal advice via phone with our retained attorney (who is also a counselor and PhD candidate in counseling). He is well versed in matters of insurance, sole proprietorships, LLC’s, PLLC’s, and the like.Helping Hand
- Updated information regarding insurance panels.
- Discounts on WMHCA sponsored trainings, including Ethics, HIPAA compliance, supervision, and licensure prep workshops.
- Promotion of our profession to managed care organizations, insurance companies and employers.
- Mental health counseling news online and through issues of Insights, our quarterly newsletter.
- Yearly conferences that meet Washington State Department of Health requirements for Continuing Education credits.
- Opportunities to network with colleagues through regular meetings.
- WMHCA advocates for enhanced professional stature and improved consumer choice through efforts to obtain licensure for qualified Mental Health Counselors.
- WMHCA is hoping to offer legislative lobbying services in the near future. Please check back for updates.
*Recently, WMHCA worked to get LMHCAs and LMFTAs able to receive the MHP designation immediately upon graduating from their degree program, rather than wait a period of two years. This also allows LMHCAs to diagnosis and bill Medicaid for services independently, which is desired by most community mental health agencies and will lead to improved job hiring prospects for graduates of counseling programs.